Regardless of symptoms, seek veterinary advice, as the danger level varies based on your pet's size and health conditions. If unable to reach your vet, contact the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 or the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center at 1-800-548-2423 for guidance on monitoring symptoms and determining the need for emergency care.
Shamrock plants, often bought near St. Patrick's Day as gifts, are considered lucky but pose a threat to pets.
If ingested, these three-leaved plants, also known as wood sorrel, can be toxic to cats, dogs, or horses due to soluble oxalate salts in the leaves. Unlike harmless clover, shamrock plants, usually grown indoors or in gardens, have bitter leaves that may not deter all curious pets.
Like other poisonous houseplants, it's crucial to keep shamrock plants out of reach or replace them with pet-friendly options. If present where your horse grazes, remove the plant.
The toxicity arises from soluble oxalate salts in the leaves, binding with calcium in the pet's body and causing a drop in blood calcium.
Long-term consumption can lead to kidney stones, while large amounts in a short period may result in acute kidney failure.
If your pet consumes a shamrock plant, contact your veterinarian promptly.
While poisoning is rare, even small doses of soluble oxalate salts can irritate the stomach, causing symptoms like drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Watch for additional signs such as tremors, lethargy, changes in urination, water consumption, and bloody urine.